Saturday, July 19, 2008



So I wanted to say a few things about Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker. Everyone is talking about it. EVERYONE! And for good reason. He kicked fucking ass.

He was creepy. He was sadistic. He was funny. Scary. Brilliant. In the end however, I feel a little cheated. Not by the movie or the performance. Only by fate. We have this amazing movie and performance by Ledger. And now we're left *hanging by our foot*. No more Heath. No more Joker. The character could easily come back, but I would be hard pressed to find any fan willing to accept a replacement for Ledger. The nuance's of his performance were so unique that no one could replace him. It would be a disservice to his work.

But all that aside, this was a BIG movie. At 2 1/2 hours it doesn't disappoint. Nolan takes us on such an intense and emotional journey. The story is a sprawling entity that pulsates with the insanity and chaos of the Joker. But the true heart of the story is Harvey Dent. This is a story of hope and its fragility. It asks the question what should a man give up to give the world hope. The Joker shows us that our heroes can be two faced.

I won't go on any longer. There are far too many people out there talking about this for anyone to really need my opinion. Go see the movie. You'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and let me know what a jackass I am!